A Little Maintenance on Your Automatic Garage Door Opener Goes a Long Way
An automatic garage opened offers you convenience, safety and security, which is why it is important to do preventative maintenance on it every few months. It is a very simple thing to do and the first thing that you will need to know is what type of system you have. Garage door opener systems are available as chain drive, belt drive and screw drive.
Once you know what system you have, you will need to follow these 6 simple steps:
- The first thing that you will want to do is inspect all of the brackets, cables, fasteners and supports. If anything is loose, you will want to tighten it, and if anything, is cracked or broken, it will need to be replaced.
- The cord connection is what allows you to open the garage door, so you will want to make sure that it is connected properly and that the cord is not frayed or damaged. If your garage door opener also has a battery as a backup, you will want to replace the battery.
- The wall keypad and the remote controls that you keep in your vehicles have batteries as well. This would be a good time to replace those too.
- The auto reverse system is an important safety feature. This is something that you should check every month, because it can prevent a person from getting stuck under a closing door.
- Lubrication is needed on every moving part in order to ensure that nothing gets stuck when the door is being used.
- Every garage door opener has a manual release handle. This allows you to open the door manually at any time. This is something that everyone in your family needs to know how to do in case there is an emergency and they need to exit through that door and the opener is not working.
It is very easy to take your automatic garage door opener for granted and expect it to work whenever you want it to. However, you need to take preventative measures to make sure that it stays in working order. Then you will never have to worry about whether or not you are really safe as you are pulling into your driveway late at night and if the door will really open for you. We can assist you if you have any problems with your garage door opener.
The Overhead Door Company of Tampa Bay has been the number one garage door company for the greater Tampa area since 1951. We offer some great savings opportunities from our website. Check out our coupons here and give us a call at 813-885-3667 for more information about scheduling a garage door repair or installation.