Observation and Maintenance are the Keys to a Healthy Garage Door
Garage doors and automatic garage door openers are pretty amazing parts of your home. The garage door protects our personal property and vehicles from damage and the elements. This is extremely important in the Tampa Bay area, especially during hurricane season. Taking care of our garage door and automatic garage door opener is something that must be done. So we’ve put together 9 tips for preventative maintenance that will help you keep your garage door healthy year after year.
- Your Power of Observation: Look at your garage door and all of the mechanical systems every time you walk into your garage. Normal things become commonplace, so when something is out of order, you’ll notice fairly quickly. You should take care to watch to your garage door every time you use it. Watch it roll up and down to look for signs of imbalance or damage. Listen to it to make sure there aren’t any strange noises from the automatic garage door opener or the garage door itself.
- Tune it Up: Your garage door works hard, usually opening and closing at least twice a day, sometimes more if you park multiple vehicles there. Tighten up the hardware from time to time to keep it all working smoothly.
- Test the Balance: Disconnect the automatic garage door opening system and open the garage door manually. It should fully open and stay there; if it doesn’t, give us a call.
- Keep it Rolling: Inspect your garage door rollers at least twice a year. Replace rollers if they appear worn, chipped, or cracked.
- Keep it Sealed Up Tight: Weatherstripping fails from time to time. This would allow cool air to escape and hot air to enter the garage, just like it does your home. Keep the weatherstripping in good condition and replace it as often as needed to protect your garage door and your energy bills as well.
- Keep it Lubricated: Moving parts damage over time simply because they wear out. Spray lubricant in the overhead springs and use white lithium grease on the opener’s chain or screw.
- Examine the Cables: The high tension cables that lift the garage door have enough force behind them to seriously injure or kill you. Don’t try to repair them or test them yourself, but you can examine them for signs of wear and call us immediately if you see fraying.
- Testing: Test the garage door’s safety features as well as the safety features built into the garage door opener.
- Keep it Clean: Clear the tracks and wash the garage door from time to time. Keep the garage door looking good and in good working order, and it should last for many years to come.
The Overhead Door Company in Tampa Bay has been in business for more than 60 years. That’s a lot of years servicing the good homeowners of the Tampa Bay area and assisting with the sales, installation, repair, and maintenance of high quality garage doors. Take advantage of any of our special deals at any given time. Remember, until June 17, 2016, we’ll automatically take $10 off of your garage service if you donate $5 or more to the Baby Needs Drive. Give us a call at 813-885-DOOR or click on the Live Chat to schedule a garage door maintenance appointment with us.