No one wants to admit when they’re in over their head, but many new homeowners don’t recognize early warning signs of garage door problems until it’s too late. They may notice some popping and weird noises here or there and pass it off as just something that happens from time to time. The sounds may change over time and suddenly the garage door stops working. Here are five common problems with garage doors and what you can do to fix them.
- The door starts to close, but then reverses and opens fully. This is likely an issue with the sensor photo eyes on the automatic garage door opener. They may have become misaligned or they may have something blocking them at a certain level. You can move them slightly to line them up the way they should be. Other reasons that this may happen is because there is a broken cable, a bent track, or a worn extension spring cable pulley. These do require replacement of the affected piece.
- The garage door opens and closes by itself. This is likely a circuit board problem, dying batteries in the remote, or an interfering signal. Start with the easiest issue and change the batteries in the remote to see if that fixes the problem. Change the code or frequency of the remote. And finally, if all else fails, call us for a garage door repair visit.
- The garage door makes popping, squeaking, or scraping sounds as it opens or closes. Popping sounds are usually caused by worn rollers that need to be replaced. Squeaking sounds are usually caused by rollers or bearings that need to be lubricated. Scraping sounds are usually caused by a frayed cable that needs to be replaced.
- The garage door opens very slowly. This can be a very annoying issue indeed. It can be caused by a warped or broken spring that needs to be replaced or some part of the garage door track may need lubrication.
- The garage door won’t open or close. The first thing to check would be the batteries in the remote. Replace them if you’re in doubt, they’re the easiest fix. Look at the keypad to make sure it hasn’t been damaged. Look at the automatic garage door opener unit itself for damages. Call us if you’re completely stumped and need our help repairing the garage door or opener.
The Overhead Door Company of Tampa Bay has proudly served Tampa area homeowners with quality garage doors and professional service for more than 60 years. We’re the winner of the Women’s Choice Award for America’s Most Recommended Garage Doors for three years and running. Our current garage door coupons expire on 1/31/2016, so make sure to call us at 813-885-3667 to book an appointment soon!